Facing a Problem with Gum Recession?
Gum recession is a common problem that goes undetected and untreated for a long time in many cases because it happens gradually. Regular dental check-ups may help with early diagnosis and treatment, saving your teeth and surrounding tissues from severe damage and infections. Smile Artistry can help you if you are facing the problem of gum recession.
What is gum recession?
It is a dental condition in which the gum tissue surrounding the teeth slowly gets pulled back or wears away, exposing more of your teeth, or even the roots at times. It also creates pockets between the gum line and the teeth, making it easier for food and bacteria to get lodged in and build-up. Gum recession can lead to a number of dental problems, from bad breath to loose teeth and various infections. It is a problem that should be immediately checked and treated.
Causes and symptoms of gum recession
There are a number of symptoms that you should look out for, which will tell you that you need to visit your dentist without delay.
- Shooting pain when having something very hot, cold, or sweet
- You can see the roots of your teeth
- Your teeth seem longer than before
- Teeth are loose and shaky
- A change in the colour of teeth
- Bad breath (halitosis)
- Bleeding gums when brushing and flossing
These symptoms may be observed due to a number of reasons that cause the problem of receding gums.
- Improper dental hygiene routines leads to plaque and tartar build-up around the gum line
- You may be genetically inclined to develop this problem
- Hormonal changes can make gums more sensitive and susceptible
- Regular or excessive use of tobacco
- Other dental infections can affect the health of your gums
- Excessive force while brushing can damage gums
- Piercings in the oral cavity (tongue, lips) can rub and wear out gums
As you can see, some are natural causes which can only be treated with professional help, while some can be easily prevented.
Treatment and prevention of gum recession
There are a number of treatment options available, along with changes in dental hygiene routines that can fix this problem.
- Improve dental hygiene – brush and floss regularly, use a soft toothbrush to avoid further damage
- Regular professional dental cleaning to remove hardened plaque from around the teeth and gum line
- Antibiotics to kill bacteria build-up and prevent/treat infections
- Surgery to close the pockets between teeth and the gum line
- Quit tobacco consumption
Your treatment will depend on the causes of your gum recession problem.
Visit Smile Artistry for a detailed dental check-up today
The dental experts at Smile Artistry can help diagnose and treat the problem of gum recession effectively. Book an appointment today to get a detailed dental check-up done at any of our clinics.